Pittsburgh Medical Malpractice Lawyers
80+ Years of Combined Experience Representing Clients Against Negligent Parties
When you seek medical care from a doctor or other health care practitioner, you expect to be treated according to accepted professional medical standards. These are standards of care that are recognized by similar practitioners in the same field, as recommended for your specific condition.
When you need healthcare, you are at your most vulnerable and totally at the mercy of your medical providers. In the majority of cases, medical treatment results in positive, and even lifesaving, outcomes. However, in some cases, adverse results can occur which lead to additional physical damage or harm.
Risks are always present in some treatments, which is why patient informed consent is a medical requirement. At other times, the patient may have been harmed through unnecessary negligence on the part of the medical provider. In these cases, medical malpractice laws may apply, allowing you to seek a civil claim for damages against the provider.
How Kontos Mengine Killion & Hassen Can Help You
At Kontos Mengine Killion & Hassen, we can provide the competent representation you need in filing such a claim against the medical practitioner responsible for your injuries. Our team is comprised of experienced trial lawyers who are recognized by various groups in the legal industry for their exceptional skills and achievements.
These honors and awards include Super Lawyers listings and memberships in the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums. We take pride in the quality of representation we provide for complex medical malpractice claims.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is a complex matter based on the accepted standard of care practiced by healthcare professionals. The actions or omissions of these practitioners in treating you can lead to mistakes, resulting in further harm to your health.
Medical malpractice claims are often filed when a provider’s care in handling a patient’s medical problem fails to follow the accepted standard of care that other similarly trained providers would follow in the same situation. This can be a complicated matter because of the risks involved in any medical treatment and the understanding that not all medical treatments succeed for some patients.
However, when medical providers are found to have made errors that lead to new injuries, illnesses, or negative health conditions, they may be held accountable for their actions.
What Are Examples of Medical Malpractice?
Examples of medical malpractice cases can include but are not limited to:
- Surgical mistakes: This can include using the wrong procedure, leaving medical equipment inside the body, operating on the wrong part or wrong patient, or otherwise damaging you during surgery.
- Medication errors: This can include prescribing or administering the wrong drug, wrong dosage, or wrong delivery path; pharmacy errors; or failing to consult your medical history when prescribing a new drug.
- Anesthesia errors: This can include the administration of a wrong dosage or failing to track your vital signs when under anesthesia’s effects.
- Wrong diagnosis, failure to diagnose, or delayed diagnosis: These errors can lead to the advance of a disease or condition that could have been prevented.
- Lab result errors: This can include ignoring or misreading results.
- Failure to consult your medical history when ordering treatments, medications, or other care: This can lead to unnecessary harm.
- Birth injury: This can be the result of improper monitoring of a mother and child, leading to infant lack of oxygen and other distress; improper use of equipment; and other medical errors.
- Hospital infections: These can be caused by improper disinfection/sanitation and other errors.
How to Prove Medical Malpractice
Proving your claim of medical malpractice calls for considerable evidence to support your case, as well as testimony by other medical experts concerning the care you received. To prevail in such a case, you will need the extensive knowledge, skills, and resources of a law firm that is experienced in this field.
Turn to a Proven Pittsburgh Medical Malpractice Law Firm
If you have been harmed by the negligent behavior of a medical provider, we strongly urge you to discuss your case with one of our skilled trial lawyers as soon as possible.
Our firm is well-known for its proven track record in achieving positive results for our clients. You will receive the compassion and attentive care you need, as we work vigorously to build your case in search of the maximum compensation to which you are entitled.